- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Cards reach deal with Wellemeyer
ST. LOUIS -- Pitcher Todd Wellemeyer and the St. Louis Cardinals avoided arbitration, agreeing to a $1 million, one-year contract.
The deal includes performance bonuses that could be worth another $100,000.
Wellemeyer was the last Cardinals player remaining in arbitration. He made $635,000 last season and was seeking $1,325,000. The Cardinals had offered $875,000.
The 29-year-old right-hander was 3-2 with a 3.11 ERA last season after St. Louis claimed him off waivers from Kansas City in May. He started 11 games in 2007 and is expected to compete for the fifth spot in the Cardinals' rotation.