- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Speak Out 1/29/08
IT'S WEDNESDAY. The water aerobics classes were supposed to meet this morning. The water today in the pool was 78 degrees. That's too cool. How do the people in the parks department and the city administration expect people to vote for a water park when they can't keep the pool at a temperature that would be comfortable for us to use for water aerobics? I think they're kidding themselves if they think we will vote for that after the experience we have had with this pool for the last three months.
Used a torch
I LOOKED at the picture you ran of the wall that was knocked down between Gaza and Egypt. The description says it was blown up with explosives. I used to use explosives years ago, and that's not what it looks like if explosives blow down a wall. That wall was cut with a cutting torch. You can see it was cut about knee high above the ground. Maybe explosives knocked it down, but it was cut with a cutting torch before the explosives. Explosives make one big hole.
Causes of autism
IT'S PREPOSTEROUS to say birth control is linked to autism. What's more likely to be linked to autism is parents' short tempers and abusive behavior, probably unintentional. You're never going to get to the bottom of it, because people aren't going to confess they're not as kind to children as they should be.
WHAT A greedy bunch of hypocrites many individuals have become. They want someone else to pay their way. Some Social Security recipients want more because their increase was too small. There might be a tax rebate or economic-stimulus money for some. Some blame the president for the national debt. Do you think we would have any debt if we had no welfare programs, pork-barrel spending and subsidies? We wouldn't. The government is you. Greedy people end up with greedy, broken government, which is happening.
Thanks for meals
I WANT to thank the people who deliver Meals on Wheels. They're giving their time on cold days. I want them to know they're appreciated.
THIS IS your conscience again. Cape Girardeau, you're falling down on the handicap parking. More and more I'm seeing people parking in handicap spaces with no handicap documentation.
ANYONE WHO sits on a board or committee should have a vested interest in that board or committee. How can someone who does not have any children in the district sit on our school boards? They either don't have children or their children go to private schools. If you're on the fire department, you need to live in this city. If you're on the police department, you need to live in this city. You don't go to one church and sit on another church's board.