- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Cape attorney Brandon Cooper to run for judge (11/20/17)2
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- 1 dead, 3 hurt in accident on Highway 72 (11/19/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Crowell leads effort to cut low-income tax credits in Missouri (11/19/17)6
Work out a deal on mortgages
To the editor:Wake up, people. It would be better to stop foreclosures and leave families in their homes than to have houses sitting empty. Let the owners either pay the interest on the note or pay what they were paying.
Common sense has gone out the window. Mortgage companies have gotten money nuts. There are so many positive ways to work with homeowners rather than put them out of their homes. Ask a builder how fast an empty house starts to go down when nobody lives in it.
So wake up, mortgage companies. Work with people. You might be surprised that it will work.
JAMES TIMBERLAKE, Cape Girardeau