Dog rescued from burning house

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Two residents of a house on South Sprigg Street are safe after aged wiring sparked a fire in the home Sunday afternoon. The man walked out on his own. The dog was carried out by firefighters.

Rick Williams was asleep in the basement of the house when he heard a loud boom and woke up to heavy black smoke.

"I held my nose and ran out," he said.

Williams came out the back door of the home, but Brownie, a large dog who looks like an Irish Setter, was still inside.

"When we got here, a few witnesses said they heard the dog barking and pawing at the front door," battalion chief Steve Niswonger said. "But they were in for several minutes before they came out with her."

Master firefighter Darin Shell carried Brownie out of the house. As soon as she was safely outdoors, she ran from the fire. A friend of the first-floor tenant -- who was not home at the time -- caught the dog and took charge of it.

Niswonger said a wire shorted out in the basement, catching fire to the line to the first-floor oven. The house incurred fire and light smoke damage.

"There was very little actual fire damage," Niswonger said.

He estimated damage to the one-and-a-half-story structure to be a few thousand dollars.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: