- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Blunt selects local man for Development Finance Board
Gov. Matt Blunt on Tuesday chose Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce president and chief executive officer John Mehner for an open seat on the Missouri Development Finance Board.
Mehner, 48, will take a Republican seat on the 12-member board, replacing James Hill of St. Louis, whose term had expired. Mehner's appointment is subject to Senate confirmation.
"I am extremely excited about it," Mehner said. "It is obviously a great group."
The position will provide a view from a statewide perspective on economic development for Missouri as well as a chance to help accomplish the goals for Cape Girardeau as a DREAM Initiative city, Mehner said.
When reviewing projects for financing, Mehner said he would make it his priority to make sure that each has "a high probability of success and significant impact in the area they are proposed."
In a news release announcing the appointment, Blunt said Mehner's "experience in civic service and the private sector will serve Missourians well on the board."
Mehner holds a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Southeast Missouri State University and a master of science degree from Southeast in public administration. His appointment is for a term that will expire Sept. 14, 2011.
The Missouri Development Finance Board oversees financing programs for businesses, local governments and state agencies, issues industrial development bonds and notes and provides financing through loans and grants to local political subdivisions to fund public infrastructure improvements.
Mehner's appointment brought a statement of support from state Sen. Jason Crowell, R-Cape Girardeau, who promised to seek quick confirmation in the Senate.
335-6611, extension 126