- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Insurance building's renovation part of Coalter family's commitment to region (12/15/17)3
- Three-vehicle wreck ends up with parked car crashing through business wall (12/16/17)3
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
Maine woman, 87, gets a sweet response
JONESPORT, Maine (AP) -- When Elizabeth Emerson confessed to a newspaper that her only real indulgence has been an occasional chocolate bar during her 87 years, she wasn't prepared for the sweet response that followed.
The 87-year-old Emerson was featured in a New York Times story about the impact of soaring fuel prices, generating letters from across the country, some with bars of chocolate inside.
She hit the jackpot in mid-December with an assortment from Hershey Co. that was accompanied by a personal note.
"I couldn't believe it. I laughed more than anything. All that fuss over little old me," Emerson told the Bangor Daily News.
The story about how the low-income elderly endure harsh Northeast winters gave a snapshot of Emerson's life: married for a half-century, grandmother and great-grandmother to 52, former aide at a nearby nursing home, now struggling to live on a $683-a-month Social Security check.
The final line disclosed her secret: "My greatest vice is Hershey bars."
This weekend, Emerson displayed what remains of her chocolate collection at her kitchen table.
"This isn't even all of it. I've given boxes and boxes away," she said. "I couldn't enjoy it if I wasn't able to share."
Besides, she said, "I can only eat so much chocolate."
© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.