- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)12
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
Touring Broadway shows have made their way to Cape Girardeau somewhat infrequently in the past, performing at the Show Me Center, which was the best venue in town for such productions for many years. Now the Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts, better known as Southeast Missouri State University's River Campus, offers a wonderful performance hall for major stage productions. It was the hope of university officials that the Bedell Performance Hall at the River Campus would attract Broadway shows on a regular basis.
The first of those shows will be "The Producers," the hilarious farce by Mel Brooks that started out as a 1968 movie and in 2001 was adapted for the Broadway stage, winning a dozen Tony Awards in the process.
"The Producers" is scheduled to perform in Cape Girardeau Jan. 30, which is relatively short notice for ticket sales. But the overwhelming popularity of other performances since the River Campus opened late last year indicates the show will likely be a sellout. In fact, to accommodate the demand for other musical and state performances, extra performances of some of the university's presentations have been added. So don't assume you can't get tickets. Call the box office at 651-2265 to get the latest information.