- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
* MAYB tournament: Southeast Youth Sports will host its annual MAYB basketball tournament in Cape Girardeau and Jackson on April 26 and 27. The tournament is open to boys and girls in grades 3 through 12. Cost: $150 for a minimum of three games. Info: Darrin Pruitt, 837-0111, or sesports.org.
* Free-throw competition: The Knights of Columbus will host its annual free-throw championship at 1 p.m. Feb. 3 at the Immaculate Conception gymnasium in Jackson. The competition is for boys and girls ages 10 to 14. Registration will be from noon to 1 p.m. the day of the competition. Participants must have proof of age and written parental consent. Info: Ken Hotop, 243-1000, 579-0196.
* Missouri watch party: The Southeast Missouri Black and Gold chapter of the Mizzou Alumni Association will host a watch party Saturday at Buffalo Wild Wings in Cape Girardeau. The Tigers play Kansas at 7 p.m. Spirit items and door prizes will be available. Info: Dale Gerecke, 334-0555.
* Blues game: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department is sponsoring a trip to the St. Louis Blues game Saturday against the Nashville Predators. Cost of the trip is $52, which includes a game ticket and transportation. The bus will leave at 10 a.m. for the 1 p.m. game. Info: 335-5421.
* Presidents' Day run: The Allen Laws Oliver Chapter of the Missouri Society of the National Society Sons of the American Revolution will sponsor the Presidents' Day 5K run Feb. 16 beginning at Red Star Baptist Church. Registration is set for 7:15 to 7:45 a.m., with the run starting at 8 a.m. Entry fee is $12 by Feb. 14 or $15 race day. Send registration fee: 2435 Glenridge, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63702. Info: 576-6880.
* Super Kids Race Day: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host its annual Super Kids Race Day on Feb. 10 at the Southeast Missouri State Student Recreation Center. The event, which begins at 12:45 p.m., is for boys and girls from crawlers to age 15. Registration begins at 11:30 a.m. and concludes at 12:30 p.m. Adults will be included for the first time in an open 1-mile race for all ages. Participants will receive a T-shirt and a ribbon. Cost: $8 by Feb. 8, $12 after Feb. 8. Info: 335-5421.
* Registration: The Cape Area Youth Soccer Association (CAYSA) will hold its spring registration at Kicks Soccer Shop in West Park Mall today and Jan. 20 from noon to 4 p.m. Parents can register their child any time until Jan. 26 at Kicks Soccer Shop if they are unable to sign up their child at one of the scheduled times. CAYSA accepts youths pre-kindergarten (4 years old) to eighth grade. The cost is $20 for pre-kindergarten and $30 for kindergarten to eighth grade. There is a discount for multiple siblings who play. Info: 334-7108.
* Registration: The JAOSA will hold registration at Nearly Perfect Shoes on Jan. 26 from 9 a.m. to noon and Jan. 30 from 6 to 8 p.m. Info: 204-7870 or 979-0423.
* Snowball tournament: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the inaugural Snowball Softball Tournament on Feb. 16 at Shawnee Park Sports Complex. The double-elimination event is open to men's and coed slow-pitch teams. Cost: $100. Deadline: Feb. 13. Info: Chris, 334-2523.
* Snowman tournament: CATA will host the Snowman Tennis Tournament Jan. 26 and 27 at the Class Act Family Fitness tennis courts. USTA rules apply and it will be a best two-out-of-three sets format with a 10-point tiebreaker for any third set. There will be men's singles 35, 55 and open, doubles open and 35, women's singles and mixed doubles divisions. Cost: $20 for singles events, $12 per person for doubles. Deadline: Jan. 23. Info: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
* Juniors tournament: Class Act Family Fitness will host the Jammin' Juniors tennis tournament Feb. 9 and 10. USTA rules and scoring will be used. There will be four girls divisions and four boys divisions, based on age. Cost: $20 for the first event, $12 for second event. Deadline: Feb. 6. Info: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
* Jackson Optimist league: The Jackson Boys Optimist wrestling little league will hold registration Jan. 23, 24 and 28 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in the Jackson High School multipurpose gym. The league, open to boys in grades kindergarten through 6, will run from Feb. 11 through March 12, with a tournament March 13 through 15. Cost: $40. Info: Matt Wendel, 204-1179.
* Fundamentals class: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department and Southeast Missouri State University will host a fundamentals of volleyball class Feb. 2 at the Osage Community Centre. Session 1 will be from 9 to 10:30 a.m. for students in grades 3 through 5. Session 2 will be from 10:30 a.m. to noon for students in grades 6 to 8. Cost: $12. Deadline: Jan. 29 at 5 p.m.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.