- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Georgia Avis McDowell, 81, formerly of Cape Girardeau, died Friday, Jan. 11, 2008, at Auburn Nursing and Rehab Center in Auburn, Ill.
She was born Sept. 22, 1926, in Allenville, daughter of James H. and Lennie Jones Hampton. She and Bill McDowell were married March 27, 1943, in Cape Girardeau. He died May 1, 1998.
McDowell was a member of Lynwood Baptist Church. She was also a member of Order of Eastern Star and White Shrine.
Survivors include a son, Neal McDowell of Rochester, Ill.; a daughter, Linda Gail Fenton of Tulsa, Okla.; a sister, Olevia Kidd of Lebanon, Ill.; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, a daughter, a brother and three sisters.
Friends may call from 11 a.m. to service time Tuesday at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home.
A graveside service will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Cape County Memorial Park Cemetery, with the Revs. Jim Hylton and Gary Belcher officiating.