- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)17
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Voters - Consider enemy within as you decide
To the editor:
As the 2004 elections draw near, God's people -- the Christians of America -- must prepare for battle. A powerful enemy is inside the gates and bent on the destruction of America's Christian moral foundations.
The enemy has already inflicted much damage by outlawing prayer and Bible reading in public schools, by outlawing "One nation under God" from our Pledge of Allegiance, by stopping Boy Scouts from meeting on public property, by suing towns for displaying "God bless America" signs on public property and by forcing same-sex marriages on America. Now the enemy wants to ban all Christmas displays from public property. He wants to remove the rank of chaplain from all military services and prevent our soldiers from practicing their religious faith while in the armed services. He would remove "In God We Trust" from our currency. He would remove all religious symbols from military cemeteries. He would remove tax exemptions from churches and religious institutions. He would ban religious broadcasting.
If we allow the enemy to succeed, America will become a truly post-Christian nation, much like Europe is today. Do you want Christianity to be eliminated as an influential force in our nation? When you think about voting, ask yourself which political party will stand against abortion and same-sex marriages and which party will stand for prayer, Bible reading and the Christian moral values that have sustained our nation through many wars and hard times.