- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Voters - Consider enemy within as you decide
To the editor:
As the 2004 elections draw near, God's people -- the Christians of America -- must prepare for battle. A powerful enemy is inside the gates and bent on the destruction of America's Christian moral foundations.
The enemy has already inflicted much damage by outlawing prayer and Bible reading in public schools, by outlawing "One nation under God" from our Pledge of Allegiance, by stopping Boy Scouts from meeting on public property, by suing towns for displaying "God bless America" signs on public property and by forcing same-sex marriages on America. Now the enemy wants to ban all Christmas displays from public property. He wants to remove the rank of chaplain from all military services and prevent our soldiers from practicing their religious faith while in the armed services. He would remove "In God We Trust" from our currency. He would remove all religious symbols from military cemeteries. He would remove tax exemptions from churches and religious institutions. He would ban religious broadcasting.
If we allow the enemy to succeed, America will become a truly post-Christian nation, much like Europe is today. Do you want Christianity to be eliminated as an influential force in our nation? When you think about voting, ask yourself which political party will stand against abortion and same-sex marriages and which party will stand for prayer, Bible reading and the Christian moral values that have sustained our nation through many wars and hard times.