- Business notebook: Cape salon picked as one of nation's top 200 (4/17/17)
- Man out on bond for alleged molestation of boys charged with abusing girl (4/18/17)
- Cape Girardeau County: Pilot House in Cape Girardeau is home to high quality ingredients, familiar faces (4/14/17)3
- New policy for semissourian.com online commentary: No pseudonyms (4/17/17)57
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Going the distance: Several locals participate in Boston Marathon (4/18/17)2
- Oran man jailed on statutory rape, burglary, other charges (4/16/17)
- 2 shot; 1 dead, 1 in custody in Cape shooting (4/16/17)4
- Bollinger County: Bonnie’s Moo Cow Cafe in Patton, Missouri, dishes out Southern classics (4/14/17)
- City wants to put hold on shipping container houses for now (4/17/17)1
Voters - Consider enemy within as you decide
To the editor:
As the 2004 elections draw near, God's people -- the Christians of America -- must prepare for battle. A powerful enemy is inside the gates and bent on the destruction of America's Christian moral foundations.
The enemy has already inflicted much damage by outlawing prayer and Bible reading in public schools, by outlawing "One nation under God" from our Pledge of Allegiance, by stopping Boy Scouts from meeting on public property, by suing towns for displaying "God bless America" signs on public property and by forcing same-sex marriages on America. Now the enemy wants to ban all Christmas displays from public property. He wants to remove the rank of chaplain from all military services and prevent our soldiers from practicing their religious faith while in the armed services. He would remove "In God We Trust" from our currency. He would remove all religious symbols from military cemeteries. He would remove tax exemptions from churches and religious institutions. He would ban religious broadcasting.
If we allow the enemy to succeed, America will become a truly post-Christian nation, much like Europe is today. Do you want Christianity to be eliminated as an influential force in our nation? When you think about voting, ask yourself which political party will stand against abortion and same-sex marriages and which party will stand for prayer, Bible reading and the Christian moral values that have sustained our nation through many wars and hard times.