- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Students move into new fraternity housing at Southeast Missouri State University (8/18/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)7
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Logan's Roadhouse in Cape not closing; Ruby Tuesday fate still unknown (8/17/16)
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Paying to play less important than standards
To the editor:
Paying sports fees to participate in high school athletics is not new. Schools across the country have the same funding issues as the Cape Girardeau School District. Businesses are having to deal with solvency issues. What your income is has little to do with this issue. At the heart of the issue is what parents are doing to make a difference in our children's future and the standards we allow to be set.
Because I make more money than some doesn't change the fact that I still will have to pay. Is it fair to say that because I make more than someone else that it's OK for me to have to pay? Because you make less, is it OK to say we will waive having to pay this fee? My obligations are no different than yours, and I face the same concerns about health care, food, utilities and having to pay for school athletics.
While school athletics are important and help children build character, the real character comes from parents and the academic standards we hold our children to. How many people who are concerned about this are meeting their children's needs rather than trying to meet their demands? I don't like having to pay either. Maybe the best approach would be to reduce the fee to a more reasonable level like $15 or $20 and require everyone who wants to play sports to pay.