- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Armed robbery suspect shot, killed in St. Charles
ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP) -- St. Charles police say an officer who shot and killed an armed robbery suspect was acting in self-defense.
The name of the officer and the suspect have not been released. The officer is a 15-year veteran of the department and is on administrative leave pending an internal investigation. But police say preliminary indications are the officer did nothing improper.
The incident happened early Wednesday after police responded to an armed robbery at a convenience store. The suspect drove away, prompting a pursuit.
Police say the suspect got out of the car, tried to enter a home, then tried to flee. When confronted by police, he allegedly threatened officers with a handgun and was shot. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.