- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Putting words to the tunes
Are you in a band?Do you play an instrument? Maybe you're more interested in writing lyrics than performing music. If so, the John Lennon Songwriting Contest for Teens is for you.
The contest is named for singer and songwriter John Lennon, a member of the Beatles known for his variety in songwriting styles.
USA Weekend magazine is accepting entries for its contest through Feb. 13. The contest is based on the theme "American Dreams."
The contest is open to anyone age 13 or older or who is a student in grades 7 to 12. Only original song lyrics will be accepted.
Lyrics must be typed, double-spaced on an 8 1/2-by-11-inch paper using only one side of the paper. On a separate sheet, type or print your name, grade, hometown and phone number and your school's phone number.
Mail entries to USA Weekend-John Lennon Songwriting Contest for Teens, P.O. Box 8521, Prospect Heights, Ill., 60070, or enter online at www.usaweek end.com/classroom/usaw_jlsc_home. html.
Grand-prize winners get their lyrics published in USA Weekend magazine, a trip to Hollywood for a walk-on role in NBC's drama "American Dreams," and can have their lyrics set to music and produced by the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus.
The winner will be selected by recording stars Michelle Branch, Pink, Usher, Monica, will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas and LeAnn Rimes.