- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Health calendar 1/8/08
n Preparation for childbirth class: 5:30 to 9 p.m., Saint Francis Medical Center Registration Center. Comprehensive guide to expected bodily changes, labor signs and stages, pain-control techniques and basic infant care. Tips on relaxing, positioning and breathing will also be discussed. Refreshments will be provided. Remember to bring the "Pregnancy, Childbirth and Parenting Kit." Register by calling 877-231-2229.
* Share support group: 6:30 p.m., meeting room 108 at Southeast Missouri Hospital. For parents, grandparents and other family members who have lost children due to miscarriage, stillbirth, neonatal death and ectopic pregnancy. For more information, call the Generations Center at 651-5825.
* Grief support group: 7 to 8:30 p.m., Grace United Methodist Church. For more information, call facilitators Julie Metzger or Vicky Hyslop at 651-5549 or associate chaplain Connie Griswold at 651-5519.
* Bosom Buddies: 6:30 p.m., HealthPoint Plaza in Cape Girardeau. Originally formed by women who have participated in the Hospital's Turning Point series, the group is open to all women who have or have had breast cancer. Call the Generations Center at 651-5825 for more information.
n Sibling class: 6 to 8 p.m., Generations Center. For 4- to 8-year-olds to discuss and understand what it means to become a big brother or sister. Children learn how to hold a baby and how to help with diapering and feeding. Children see special videos and make a gift for their new baby. Refreshments are served, and graduates receive diplomas at the end of the class. To preregister, call Generations at 651-5825 or visit www.southeastmissourihospital.com.
* Flu shot clinic: 7 to 10 a.m., Fitness Plus. There is a fee. Medicare and insurance not accepted. No appointment necessary. Call 331-5316.
n Asthma education: 6:30 to 9 p.m., Generations Center. Free asthma education program for children, adults and their families who deal with asthma. Topics include a medical description of asthma and what triggers it, medications, peak flow monitoring, managing asthma episodes and exercise-induced asthma. Participants are encouraged to bring flow meters, spacers and a list of their medications. Class size is limited and advance registration is required. To register, call the Generations Center at 651-5825 or go to www.southeastmissourihospital.com
n Freedom from Smoking: 6 to 7 p.m., Kids Bee Fit Room at West Park Mall. Eight-week smoking cessation program. Interested persons can attend the first meeting Monday before deciding whether to sign up for the program. There is a cost. To register for the program, call Southeast Wellness Services at 986-4406.
* Infant care class: 5:30 to 7 p.m., Saint Francis Medical Center Registration Center. For parents, grandparents and other care providers. The class covers topics such as feeding, daily care, infant sleeping patterns, and valuable health and safety information. Register by calling 877-231-2229.
n Sibling class: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Saint Francis Medical Center Registration Center. The class teaches children (ages 3 to 6) about the birthing process while preparing them to become better siblings. They will learn the proper way to hold infants, toy safety and explore emotional issues of a growing family. The class is free. Register by calling 877-231-2229.
NARS, William Street, Cape Girardeau, 3 to 7p.m.
Cape Girardeau Career and Technology Center, 1080 S. Silver Springs Road, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.