- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Out of the past 1/8/08
25 years ago: Jan. 8, 1983
Cape Girardeau County authorities yesterday filed 23 felony burglary and stealing charges against a 23-year-old Cape Girardeau man who allegedly was involved in 22 daylight burglaries from mid-August to early November last year in Cape Girardeau, Bollinger and Perry counties; a 19-year-old Marble Hill, Mo., man has also been questioned in connection with the burglaries.
Major additions to both Cape Girar-deau hospitals accounted for more than half the value of all local building projects for which the city issued permits in 1982; 327 building permits were issued by the city last year, with a projected value of $16,242,046.
50 years ago: Jan. 8, 1958
The warehouse department of the Walther Furniture Store at Broadway and Middle Street, badly damaged by fire yesterday, will be restored, says G.C. Walther, co-owner of the business; details of the rebuilding haven't been worked out, nor is there an estimate of the loss to stored stock and the brick annex.
The State Park Board has announced the appointment of Clarence Schilling of Jackson as acting superintendent of the new Trail of Tears State Park.
75 years ago: Jan. 8, 1933
Since the Methodists in this area have taken steps to preserve Old McKendree Chapel as the cradle of Methodism in this state, there has been talk of similarly caring for the site where Old Bethel Baptist Church stood and making it accessible to visitors.
Midweek services are to be substituted for the Sunday evening services at the Evangelical Church, according to a decision reached at the annual meeting of the congregation last Sunday; not much interest has been shown in the Sunday night service for some time.
100 years ago: Jan. 8, 1908
The Cape Girardeau County Court next week will appoint a county highway engineer under the new law, who will have charge of the work on the public roads; applicants for the position are Dennis Scivally, L.M. Bean, N.C. Frizzell, J.F. Brooks and J.F. McLain.
The Himmelberger-Harrison Building was lighted up last night and made a fine sight; the chandeliers are now being placed; by the first of February, the big office building will be completed.
-- Sharon K. Sanders