Cape roadwork bill lower than estimate
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
The final tab for 16,950 feet of road improvements done in Cape Girardeau last year cost more than $75,000 less than anticipated.
Members of the city council agreed to pay Jokerst Inc. the final installment of $48,531.
City manager Doug Leslie reminded council members the city's total bill for the work, $361,131, is paid by the third phase of the Transportation Trust Fund. The city was reimbursed for an additional $22,605 by the school district and a property owner.
Jokerst completed asphalt overlays on such streets as Lexington Avenue from Route W to Carolina Lane; 530 feet of Legion Drive, south of Capaha Drive; Spanish Street, between Fourth and Second streets; Southern Expressway shoulders from Kingshighway to the Cape LaCroix Creek bridge; the 1700 block of Whitelaw Lane; the 600 block of Mason Street, North and South drives; and Plaza Way from William Street to Bloomfield Road.
The council also appointed two men to the city's golf advisory board. The council extended the term for James Hastings, on the board since July 18, 2005, to Jan. 18, 2011. Kent Ward, a sales executive for the Rite Group, was appointed to the remaining opening on the nine-member board.
Cape City Council Action
7 p.m. Monday
City hall, 401 Independence St.
Consent ordinances, second and third readings
* Accepted fee simple interest to property adjacent to Water Plant No. 2 from Southeast Missouri Stone Co.
* Authorized the acquisition of property for water system improvements adjacent to Water Plant No. 2.
* Approved the record plat of Arbor Heights Fifth Addition.
* Approved the record plat of Garrett Subdivision.
* Accepted fee simple interest, a permanent slope easement and a temporary construction easement from Danny Stratton for the construction of Fountain Street and other projects.
* Accepted a grant of easement from Dalhousie LLC to serve the Lochs of Dalhousie Subdivision in Sewer District 17-1-A.
* Accepted a grant of easement from Dalhousie LLC to serve the Highlands of Dalhousie Subdivision Phase IV in Sewer District 17-1-A.
* Accepted a grant of easement from Dalhousie LLC to serve the Highlands of Dalhousie Phase IV in Sewer District 17-1-A.
* Approved the record plat of The Highlands at Dalhousie, Phase IV.
* Acknowledged receipt of an annexation petition from RiverWest Partners LC, Walden Park Village LLC, A.G. Jones Properties LLC and Quantus Development LLC and set a public hearing regarding the proposed annexation.
* Authorized the city manager to enter into a contract with PR Developers Inc. for the South Ramsey Lift Station and Force Main, sanitary sewer extension.
* Authorized the city manager to execute Amendment No. 1 to the State Block Grant Agreement with the Missouri Department of Transportation for the general aviation terminal rehabilitation project at the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport.
* Authorized the city manager to accept the proposal submitted by Ron Duff Video Productions to broadcast and record Cape Girardeau City Council meetings and to execute all necessary contract documents.
* Approved of a 5 percent beer by the drink liquor license for Mildred L. Close, d/b/a The Life of Jesus Religious Supply Store, 821 Broadway Suite A, Mildred L. Close, managing officer.
* Accepted improvements completed under the 2007 Overlay Program and authorizing final payment of $361,131.04 to Jokerst Inc.