- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Out of the past 2/1/04
10 years ago: Feb. 1, 1994
Cape Girardeau Board of Education hopes to replace old buildings with new elementary classrooms, setting aside for now idea of middle school; at work session yesterday, board discussed building new elementary school and addition to Jefferson Elementary.
Bill Hopkins, women's gymnastics coach at Southeast Missouri State University, has filed for seat on Cape Gir-ardeau Board of Education.
25 years ago: Feb. 1, 1979
Several alleged recruitment violations in athletic department of Southeast Missouri State University have been brought to attention of National Collegiate Athletic Association, which has initiated official inquiry; alleged violations took place in men's basketball and track programs.
Southeast Missouri State University Board of Regents approves student housing increase effective during 1980-81 school year; increase will add $100 per year to present room and board costs.
50 years ago: Feb. 1, 1954
Rollo E. Singleton, commissioner of Missouri Department of Agriculture, orders countywide quarantines of all dogs, cats and other pets in Cape Girardeau and Scott counties; action comes following two instances of rabies outbreaks, one in each county.
Two barges go aground off South Cape Girardeau as Mississippi River starts to drop again after brief rise during weekend.
75 years ago: Feb. 1, 1929
Destruction by fire of three-story brick building occupied by Kinder's Drug store and Dreamland confectionery has resulted in plans to erect new, two-story building on site; other structures in the Haarig District will also be improved.
CHARLESTON, Mo. -- Group opposed to construction of spillway in this county to take care of floodwaters of Mississippi River have organized Mississippi County Anti-Floodway Association; George W. Kirk is president.
-- Sharon K. Sanders