- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Scott City man indicted for murder
BENTON, Mo. -- A Scott County grand jury this morning indicted a Scott City man for murder in an incident that happened over three months ago.
According to the indictment sent to the Southeast Missourian, 18-year-old Marcus Bowers of Scott City is being charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the death of Stanley Frank Hagan. The incident occurred Sept. 23, according to the indictment. Hagan allegedly was killed when Bowers hit Hagan's head on a trailer tie-down stake, according to the indictment. No more details were given about the crime in the indictment.
Bowers was already in the Scott County Jail on charges of child molestation.
Scott City Police Chief Don Cobb said the death was originally ruled accidental, but after more thorough review a murder investigation was started.
Cobb said the investigation was kept from the public to preserve the secrecy needed to protect witnesses and prevent Bowers from knowing the investigation was in progress while police gathered evidence against him.
Look for more information throughout the day on semissourian.com.