- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Out of the past 12/27/07
25 years ago: Dec. 27, 1982
Just as they finished cleaning up from record flooding the first week of December, some Southeast Missourians received more flooding over the weekend; from Thursday through Sunday, Cape Girardeau received 6.59 inches of rain.
Fire breaks out in an electrical panel in a storage room of the Golden Dragon, 217 N. Kingshighway, causing moderate smoke damage to the restaurant and some fire damage to the storage room and its contents.
50 years ago: Dec. 27, 1957
Final instructions for countywide assessment of personal property are given at a meeting of deputies with County Assessor John L. Wescoat and Cape Girardeau City Assessor Harry E. Andrews; the latter will be assisted in the assessment in Cape Girardeau by Charles Etherton and Claude Miller; Wescoat will have a deputy for each township in the county.
Three more accidents are added to Cape Girardeau's rapidly expanding list of street collisions, which police predict will pass 60 before the month is over and set a new one-month record.
75 years ago: Dec. 27, 1932
Employment for 200 men of Cape Girardeau and vicinity has been provided by the Arnold Stone Co., which has a contract for furnishing a large amount of stone to be used by construction firms in rip-rap projects along the Mississippi River, according to Peter H. Deimund, who is in charge of quarrying the rock.
James Barham, formerly of Bloomfield, Mo., and a member of the Teachers College basketball team in years past, who has been playing independent basketball with the Sugar Creeks of St. Louis, has left the team and returned to his home in Detroit.
100 years ago: Dec. 27, 1907
The grand ball of the winter season, an exclusive society event, is scheduled for tonight and will attract the cream of Cape Girardeau society; the United Daughters of the Confederacy will be hostesses at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert G. Ranney on North Main Street.
Last evening, a fire destroyed the barn belonging to Dr. J.D. Porterfield, president of the waterworks company, at the rear of his residence on South Sprigg Street.
-- Sharon K. Sanders