- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Nixon wants to penalize businesses that hire illegal workers
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Attorney General Jay Nixon wants to penalize businesses that hire illegal immigrants.
Nixon is backing legislation that would suspend business licenses of companies caught using undocumented workers, and permanently revoke licenses of second-time offenders.
He says the proposal is modeled after an Arizona law set to take effect January 1. That law is being challenged in court by business groups.
Nixon, a Democrat, is challenging Republican Governor Matt Blunt in next year's elections.
Blunt has outlined a series of proposals targeting illegal immigrants.
Earlier this week, he proposed to increase penalties on state contractors who employ illegal immigrants and to require public employers to verify the immigration status of new workers through a federal database.