- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Southeast students raising funds to attend Model UN
Eleven Southeast Missouri State University students will represent the African nation of Rwanda at an international Model United Nations gathering in New York City in April.
The students, members of Southeast Missouri Model United Nations, will be among 3,900 students from around the world who are scheduled to attend the event April 3 to 10.
The event will feature student discussions on a number of current United Nations issues.
"We are trying to research our country so well that we would take the same position as they would," said Carmen Montes, secretary general of the Southeast Missouri Model United Nations.
Montes said the trip to New York, which includes a mock session at the United Nations building, will cost the Southeast delegation about $10,000.
"We have raised about $2,000," she said.
The group hopes to raise the rest of the money at a silent auction on Friday at Stev-Mark gallery, 16 N. Spanish. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. The silent auction will be held from 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. Complimentary wine will be served. Jazz pianist Sonya Lorelle will perform.
Montes said the auction will feature about $2,000 worth of prizes, including several golf outings, a bed and breakfast package, and artwork donated by local restaurants.