10 years ago: Jan. 27, 1994
Although annual event is six months way, couple of significant donations have already been made toward Riverfest '94; Lady Luck Gaming Corp. has donated $7,500 toward fireworks display, and Boyd Gaming Corp. has given $7,000 donation.
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Funds earmarked for renovation of Parker Hall at Southeast Missouri State University have been removed from supplemental appropriations bill by House Budget Committee.
25 years ago: Jan. 27, 1979
Snowflakes fall sporadically throughout day, and forecasters are calling for more snow next week; about four inches fell on top of already accumulated snow banks beginning last night and continuing today.
Some 60 pilots meet at Municipal Airport to voice strong opposition to proposed airspace restrictions in name of safety, following last year's airliner-private plane crash at San Diego.
50 years ago: Jan. 27, 1954
Construction of experimental water gates on St. John's Drainage Ditch, to test their effectiveness in keeping water table high in farm fields during prolonged dry weather, is suggested in letter by J.C. May, prominent Morley farmer.
Frame house, occupied by Wittmor family for more than 80 years, is being razed on southeast corner of Sprigg and Bellevue.
75 years ago: Jan. 27, 1929
From old family letters found by Mrs. Mary C. Williams, it appears that stone house on First West Street, now occupied by John H. Sander, was built by Edward Criddle in 1816 and will be 113 years old this summer.
Two of Cape Girardeau's fire trucks collide on South Sprigg Street; hook and ladder truck skids into stopped Dodge truck, smashing fender and damaging fire extinguisher.
-- Sharon K. Sanders