- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Woman charged in deadly hit and run crash
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Kansas City woman was charged Monday with speeding away after she hit and killed a man with her pickup truck, authorities said. Jackson County prosecutors said June Strawn was under the influence of methamphetamine at the time of the Sept. 29 accident that killed 70-year-old Charles E. Gates of Kansas City. Strawn, 45, faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident.
Witnesses told police a pickup truck didn't brake and appeared to speed up after striking Gates, according to police documents. When stopped a short time later, Strawn told police she thought someone had thrown food at her truck so she continued without stopping.
Strawn, who failed a drug test, said she had smoked about half a gram of meth before the crash.