- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)47
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)15
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)12
Litterbug sports pink sign as penalty
BRIDGEPORT, Ohio -- A litterbug became a walking warning not to mess with Bridgeport -- or its mayor.
Tommy LaShare and his girlfriend were caught emptying their ashtrays on the street, police said. That landed LaShare in the court of Mayor John Callarik, who is waging a battle against litter.
The mayor offered jail time, community service, $1,000 in fines -- or two eight-hour stints walking the streets wearing a hot pink sandwich board with the message "Cigarette Butts Are Litter." LaShare chose the sign.