- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
Litterbug sports pink sign as penalty
BRIDGEPORT, Ohio -- A litterbug became a walking warning not to mess with Bridgeport -- or its mayor.
Tommy LaShare and his girlfriend were caught emptying their ashtrays on the street, police said. That landed LaShare in the court of Mayor John Callarik, who is waging a battle against litter.
The mayor offered jail time, community service, $1,000 in fines -- or two eight-hour stints walking the streets wearing a hot pink sandwich board with the message "Cigarette Butts Are Litter." LaShare chose the sign.