- Updated: Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/21/16)4
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
Litterbug sports pink sign as penalty
BRIDGEPORT, Ohio -- A litterbug became a walking warning not to mess with Bridgeport -- or its mayor.
Tommy LaShare and his girlfriend were caught emptying their ashtrays on the street, police said. That landed LaShare in the court of Mayor John Callarik, who is waging a battle against litter.
The mayor offered jail time, community service, $1,000 in fines -- or two eight-hour stints walking the streets wearing a hot pink sandwich board with the message "Cigarette Butts Are Litter." LaShare chose the sign.