Out of the past 12/8/07

Saturday, December 8, 2007

25 years ago: Dec. 8, 1982

While December floodwaters begin their muddy recession in some areas, Southeast Missouri residents brace for a Saturday crest of 44.5 feet at Cape Girardeau, a level just below the 1973 record crest of 45.6 feet; a total of 16 people sought refuge last night in the emergency shelter set up at city hall; an estimated 300 people have been forced from their homes by high water.

Scott City police chief Vernon Wilson, whose short tenure has been marked by controversy, has resigned his post effective Dec. 17.

50 years ago: Dec. 8, 1957

State College coach Kenneth Knox, who is in Kansas City for the annual MIAA meeting, has been included in the list of those being considered to fill the vacant football coaching post at the University of Missouri.

A certificate of incorporation of the National Clay Pot manufacturers, with headquarters in Jackson on Highway 70, was filed for record Thursday; the purpose of the incorporation is to organize, promote and advance a professional association of individuals who manufacture and produce clay flower pots; the initial registering agent is the Ceramo Co.

75 years ago: Dec. 8, 1932

O.H. Cornelius, in charge of the district Prohibition office in Cape Girardeau, has written the deputy enforcement administrator in charge of the St. Louis office, recommending that 1,200 pounds of sugar confiscated by agents making liquor raids in Bollinger County this week be turned over to the Central Relief Organization here for distribution to the poor.

About 200 people who have deposits in the Sturdivant Bank have made claims up to noon; the bank will remain open for this purpose until April 8.

100 years ago: Dec. 8, 1907

The Rev. A. Wilder, pastor, preaches in the morning at Trinity Lutheran Church; in the evening, he attends the installation of the new pastor at Wittenberg, Mo.; the new pastor is the Rev. A.H. Klein, who recently arrived from Brazil, South America.

G.A. Kassel has purchased the residence and lot belonging to Fred Pott for about $4,900; the place is on Ellis Street, near Broadway.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: