Saturday, December 8, 2007
Brass quintet to play at Abbey Road church
The Southeast Faculty Brass Quintet, a chamber ensemble made up of three faculty members, a student and a community member, will play at the 10 a.m. service Sunday at Abbey Road Christian Church. The group performs for many service activities around Cape Girardeau and plays preconcert music for the Paducah Symphony.
Area Christmas programs scheduled
* Hanover Lutheran Church will have a live Nativity from 6 to 7 p.m. Saturday. Refreshments will follow in the meeting room.
* The annual German-English Christmas service will be at 4 p.m. Sunday at Hanover Lutheran Church. The service will be delivered in German by seminarian Christian Tiews.
* Hobbs Chapel United Methodist Church will present a Christmas play, "Shoemaker's Dream," at 6 p.m. Dec. 16. The Chimes and other musical groups will perform. The children will sing and recite. The public is invited.
* The East Cape Baptist Church will present the musical "The Love Of God" at 10:30 a.m. Sunday morning.
* First Baptist Church is joining Grace United Methodist, Westminster Presbyterian and Abbey Road Christian churches at 6 p.m. Sunday for a Christmas PraiseSing.
* The Lesters will present a Christmas concert at 6 p.m. Sunday at First General Baptist Church of Jackson, 1506 S. Farmington Road.
* Sedgewickville Baptist church, two miles north of Sedgewickville on Route KK, will celebrate Christmas at 2 p.m. Sunday with the Christmas pageant "Mary Remembers."
* Bethany Baptist church, 1712 Randol Ave., will present "One Incredible Moment," a musical celebration by the adult choir, at 11 a.m. Sunday. The program features the writing of Max Lucado and the musical crafting of Tommy Fettke.
* The adult choir of St. Andrew Lutheran Church will present its annual Service of Lessons and Carols at 4 p.m. Sunday in the church sanctuary, 804 N. Cape Rock Drive. A preconcert recital featuring St. Andrew's new bell choir, "Mission Bells," will begin at 3:30 p.m. The service will feature congregational singing, choir anthems and the traditional Christmas story,
* The chancel choir of First Presbyterian Church at Broadway and Lorimier Street will present a cantata titled "Comfort and Joy" by Lloyd Larson at the 10:45 a.m. worship service Dec. 16. The cantata includes well-known Christmas carols and original compositions sung by soloists and the choir with narration by the Rev. Paul Kabo.
* The New Salem Methodist Church of Daisy will present an "Old West" Christmas musical, "Christmas at Bethlehem Gulch," at 5 p.m., Dec. 16.
* New Bethel Congregational Methodist Church will present its Christmas program at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 22.
* The Trinity Singers of Trinity Lutheran Church at Themis and Frederick streets will present the cantata "A Great and Mighty Wonder" at the 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. services Dec. 16.
First Baptist Church announces activities
* Sunday: 9:30 a.m.: Bible class for all ages and The Gathering with Tyler Tankersley. The study topic will be "The Coming Christ"; 10:45 a.m. Sunday: Pastor Mike Shupert will present a special sermon titled "The Jesus Gift"; 6 p.m.: PraiseSing featuring choirs from First Baptist, Abby Road Christian, Maple United Methodist, Westminster Presbyterian and Grace United Methodist churches. Fellowship will follow.
* Wednesday: 5:30 p.m. family meal; 6:15 p.m. adult Bible study with Dr. Ron Winstead; youth Bible study with Tyler Tankersley; Kids' Club with Whitney Thomason.
Christmas church tour fliers now available
The annual Christmas Country Church Tour has begun. Pick up a flier with map identifying 25 churches in the Cape Girardeau County and Perry County area. Fliers are available at Oak Ridge Market, Country Mart in Jackson or call Bill Freeman at 573-266-3315.
Grace Notes bell choir to play at Old St. Vincent
The Grace Notes Handbell Choir from Grace Methodist church will play pre-Mass music at 9:30 a.m. Sunday at Old St. Vincent's Church. The choir consists of 14 bell ringers and is directed by Ray Haring. The public is invited and is free to leave before Mass.
'Call to be Catholic' presented at St. John
The Rev. Oscar Lukefahr will present an Advent Mission at 7 p.m. Dec. 9 through 12 at St. John parish in Leopold, Mo. The theme is "Call to be Catholic." Everyone is invited to share in Fr. Lukefahr's message of love, faith, happiness and healing.
Jackson author to hold book signing Dec. 15
Stan Crader of Jackson will sign copies of his novel "The Bridge" from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 15 at Gospeland Bookstore. Net proceeds from the sale of the book will be donated to Teen Challenge and Young Life.
GriefShare support group meets Wednesday
GriefShare, a Christian-based grief recovery seminar and support group for those who have lost a loved one in death, will meet at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in Room 202 of the education building at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Jackson. This week's topic is "Your Family and Grief."
-- From staff reports