- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)3
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)23
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)14
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
New Orleans doctors deliver triplet boys, quadruplet girls within 24 hours
NEW ORLEANS -- What do you have with three of a kind and four of a kind? A full hospital.
Doctors at Ochsner Medical Center delivered triplet boys and quadruplet girls within 24 hours.
Pamela Kocke's boys made their appearance early Tuesday, while Alisha Murphy's girls began showing up about 12 hours later, according to a hospital news release. All were doing well Wednesday.
"The trips were natural," hospital spokeswoman Katherine Voss said. The odds of naturally born triplets are about one in 8,000.
Linus, Oliver and Miles Kocke were delivered at 33 weeks and two days, the average gestation time for triplets. Babies born after 37 weeks' gestation are considered full-term.
The boys weigh from 4 pounds, 2 1/2 ounces to 4 pounds, 10 ounces. Doctors won't know whether any of them are identical until they get lab results from the babies' placentas, Voss said.
She said Murphy's girls, Molly, Elizabeth, Margaret and Carolyn, were conceived by in-vitro fertilization.
An ultrasound early during the pregnancy found that two of the girls are identical twins, indicating one of three fertilized eggs split after it was implanted, said Murphy's obstetrician, Dr. Sherri Longo. She didn't know which two are identical.
The girls were delivered at 32 weeks, weighing from 3 pounds, 6 ounces to 4 pounds, 3 ounces. The average gestation for quadruplets is 29 1/2 weeks.
All the infants will stay in the neonatal intensive care unit for a few weeks -- standard for premature babies.