- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
Speak Out 12/5/07
A fine gentleman
I WAS saddened to hear of the passing of Leonard Lowes. I had the privilege to do business with him since 1979. He was a fine gentleman and one I could trust to deal fairly and honestly. He will be missed.
Mizzou's united fans
IT IS great to see our Missouri football team No. 1 in the nation. I hope someday our own Southeast Missouri State University football team will have a winning championship team like Mizzou, It is like the saying, "United we stand, divided we fall." No doubt about it, Mizzou fans are united.
Fix those lights
IN RESPONSE to the column "Lights out in River City: Call this number. Now!": Joe, you have a way of telling a story like no other. You told the city and Missouri Department of Transportation exactly what they need to do: Get on the stick and fix the lights. You go, Joe.
I'LL ADMIT it. I was against the DREAM initiative before I read state Sen. Jason Crowell's perceptive piece endorsing it. Frankly, I thought it would be just another wasted pork-barrel project. However, since Crowell wrote that a big part of it will be devoted to presentations by world-class storytellers, I changed my mind and am enthusiastic about it. In fact, I can hardly wait until the time when Cape Girardeau will be graced with the presence of so many politicians.
Water and gasoline
EVER STOP to think about the price of bottled water and the price of gasoline? Figure out which costs more.
CONGRATULATIONS TO Southeast Missouri on making the Guinness Book of World Records with its multiple geysers of Mentos. This is a tremendous accomplishment, second perhaps only to the fact Southeast Missourian also launched the career of Rush Limbaugh. Oct. 3 is a memorable day, which city fathers should declare a public holiday in the future.
Too much government
BIG BROTHER says it's time for mandatory reduction of all salt in food and drink.
Low reading scores
IN CASE you missed the article about the fourth-grade reading scores: U.S. students posted a lower average score than students in Russia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Luxembourg, Hungary, Italy and Sweden as well as the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario. It would be interesting to see again where we are on all the combined basic subjects.