- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Redbirds sign LaRueas backup catcher
ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals have agreed to a one-year contract with catcher Jason LaRue, who will serve as the backup to Yadier Molina, the team said Monday.
Terms were not disclosed.
LaRue, 33, will replace Gary Bennett, who was not resigned.
LaRue is a career .233 hitter with 88 homers and 316 RBIs. He spent his first eight seasons with Cincinnati. The Reds traded him to Kansas City prior to the 2007 season.
In 66 games with the Royals, LaRue hit .148 with four home runs and 13 RBIs.
His best season was 2005, when he hit .260 with 14 homers for the Reds.
LaRue is known for a strong throwing arm. He threw out 33 percent of would-be base stealers last season.