- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)15
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Jackson man charged with assault after incident at Cape bar (06/24/16)1
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Business notebook: Plastics firm moves to area to help laid-off workers (06/20/16)1
Candidate filing deadline nears for Cape Girardeau
The last day for Cape Girar-deau City Council candidates to file is Nov. 20.
City council hopefuls must be registered voters and older than 21. They must have been residents of the city for at least two years and residents since July 25 of the wards they want to represent to be eligible for the upcoming election.
To get into Cape Girardeau's race, a candidate must file a nominating petition form signed by at least 50 people. Anyone signing the petition must be registered and eligible to vote in that ward. The candidate also must sign a nomination acceptance form.
Both forms are available at city hall, 401 Independence St. The general election is April 8. New members of council will be inducted into office during a special meeting April 15. Council members earn $100 a month.
In Jackson, candidates must be 21 and have been a resident of the city for one year prior to the election date. Aldermen are paid $125 a month. The filing period for candidates is 8 a.m. Dec. 18 through 5 p.m. Jan. 22.