- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Pilot killed after crashing plane in farm field in Northeast Missouri
LA BELLE, Mo. (AP) -- A 71-year-old Missouri man is dead after crashing his single-engine airplane in a northeast Missouri farm field Thursday afternoon.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol said Stevens L. Walker of Newark crashed his Zodiac 601 XL Zenair plane around 4:35 p.m. in Lewis County near La Belle, about 25 miles west of Canton.
Patrol spokesman Sgt. Brent Bernhardt said Walker, who was the pilot and sole occupant of the plane, was pronounced dead at 5:45 p.m.
Bernhardt said Walker had taken off from a rural airport about two miles from the crash site.
Investigators from the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Bureau were expected at the scene on Friday, Bernhardt said.