- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)41
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Southeast president to get his U.S. citizenship July 4 (06/30/16)34
- Cape murderer still will serve 2 life sentences; appeals court forced reduced charge (06/30/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
The annual Zonta Club of Cape Girardeau honors luncheon has become one of the biggest events in town, raising $13,000 for community projects and bestowing awards on women who have distinguished themselves.
This year's honorees, both the winners and the nominees, represent the best of what a community ought to be: caring, giving, generous, meaningful, productive and honorable.
Tina Klocke, a Southeast Missouri State University graduate who has been the chief financial officer of Build-A-Bear Workshop Inc. since it started in St. Louis in 1997, received Zonta's Celebration Award.
Maryann "Miki" Gudermuth received the Woman of Achievement award. She is the executive director of the SEMO Alliance for Disability Independence Inc., which she founded.
Six other nominees for the Woman of Achievement award were also recognized at the luncheon: Tammy Gwaltney, executive director of the Southeast Missouri Network Against Sexual Violence; Marcia Mulcahy, lawyer; Carol Reimann, teacher; NaTika Rowles, director of the Boys and Girls Club of Cape Girardeau; Jayne Scherrman, pediatric dentist; and Debra Schumer, clinical dietitian at Saint Francis Medical Center.
All of these deserving women have made significant positive contributions to their professions and their community and deserve special commendation.