- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
The annual Zonta Club of Cape Girardeau honors luncheon has become one of the biggest events in town, raising $13,000 for community projects and bestowing awards on women who have distinguished themselves.
This year's honorees, both the winners and the nominees, represent the best of what a community ought to be: caring, giving, generous, meaningful, productive and honorable.
Tina Klocke, a Southeast Missouri State University graduate who has been the chief financial officer of Build-A-Bear Workshop Inc. since it started in St. Louis in 1997, received Zonta's Celebration Award.
Maryann "Miki" Gudermuth received the Woman of Achievement award. She is the executive director of the SEMO Alliance for Disability Independence Inc., which she founded.
Six other nominees for the Woman of Achievement award were also recognized at the luncheon: Tammy Gwaltney, executive director of the Southeast Missouri Network Against Sexual Violence; Marcia Mulcahy, lawyer; Carol Reimann, teacher; NaTika Rowles, director of the Boys and Girls Club of Cape Girardeau; Jayne Scherrman, pediatric dentist; and Debra Schumer, clinical dietitian at Saint Francis Medical Center.
All of these deserving women have made significant positive contributions to their professions and their community and deserve special commendation.