- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
The annual Zonta Club of Cape Girardeau honors luncheon has become one of the biggest events in town, raising $13,000 for community projects and bestowing awards on women who have distinguished themselves.
This year's honorees, both the winners and the nominees, represent the best of what a community ought to be: caring, giving, generous, meaningful, productive and honorable.
Tina Klocke, a Southeast Missouri State University graduate who has been the chief financial officer of Build-A-Bear Workshop Inc. since it started in St. Louis in 1997, received Zonta's Celebration Award.
Maryann "Miki" Gudermuth received the Woman of Achievement award. She is the executive director of the SEMO Alliance for Disability Independence Inc., which she founded.
Six other nominees for the Woman of Achievement award were also recognized at the luncheon: Tammy Gwaltney, executive director of the Southeast Missouri Network Against Sexual Violence; Marcia Mulcahy, lawyer; Carol Reimann, teacher; NaTika Rowles, director of the Boys and Girls Club of Cape Girardeau; Jayne Scherrman, pediatric dentist; and Debra Schumer, clinical dietitian at Saint Francis Medical Center.
All of these deserving women have made significant positive contributions to their professions and their community and deserve special commendation.