- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)2
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- Business notebook: Jackson boutique has regional roots in retail (7/17/17)
Search-rescue relies on trust
To the editor:I'd like to clarify that there are two separate search-and-rescue teams based in Scott County. One is the Scott County Search and Rescue K9 Unit associated with the Scott County Emergency Management Agency. The other is the Scott County Sheriff's Department K9 Tactical Search Team. It needs to be made clear that the accused in the alleged dogfighting ring was a member of the sheriff's tactical team and was in no way associated with the EMA's K9 unit.
That said, I would also like to say that I know both the tactical team's chief and training officer and have trained with them on numerous occasions. Both have served their country in the military. In all my dealings with them they both have never shown themselves to be anything less than trustworthy. They would be a welcome asset to any team.
In search and rescue, your reputation is crucial. Local agencies, other teams and the public need to know that they are working with competent and trustworthy people. It's a shame that the actions of one person, if he is guilty, could damage the reputation of others that continue to dedicate their lives in service to the public.
KEVIN SHARP, K9 Training Officer, Scott County Search and Rescue K0 Unit, Benton, Mo.