- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Chantelle Becking strives to make a difference through her family and community (11/10/17)
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- Jackson elementary students try to help others with 'kindness boxes' (11/6/17)1
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Search reveals body in lake near Poplar Bluff; foul play suspected (11/12/17)
Search-rescue relies on trust
To the editor:I'd like to clarify that there are two separate search-and-rescue teams based in Scott County. One is the Scott County Search and Rescue K9 Unit associated with the Scott County Emergency Management Agency. The other is the Scott County Sheriff's Department K9 Tactical Search Team. It needs to be made clear that the accused in the alleged dogfighting ring was a member of the sheriff's tactical team and was in no way associated with the EMA's K9 unit.
That said, I would also like to say that I know both the tactical team's chief and training officer and have trained with them on numerous occasions. Both have served their country in the military. In all my dealings with them they both have never shown themselves to be anything less than trustworthy. They would be a welcome asset to any team.
In search and rescue, your reputation is crucial. Local agencies, other teams and the public need to know that they are working with competent and trustworthy people. It's a shame that the actions of one person, if he is guilty, could damage the reputation of others that continue to dedicate their lives in service to the public.
KEVIN SHARP, K9 Training Officer, Scott County Search and Rescue K0 Unit, Benton, Mo.