- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Thankful people: Marble Hill woman been through much and remains thankful (11/24/16)
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)4
- Light Christmas: Thousands gather to view Parade of Lights (11/28/16)5
War heightens respect for life
To the editor:I've gained a huge respect for the ground troops fighting the war outside the walls I'm in. I've seen helicopters come in from picking up the wounded, and I turn my head because I'm not sure I'd be ready to see who they're unloading.
Anyone who has strength in prayer, which I hope you all do: Pray for these men and women daily. They're fighting for your freedom. They're giving up their quality time with their families and loved ones and their good stateside living conditions. They're eating meals ready to eat for two weeks straight before coming on the base to get a little rest, sleeping lightly, not showering for weeks at a time while everyone else is thinking how bad their lives are.
Every time I think I can't handle the bad things I've been faced with in life or how bad I think my life is, there is a Fallen Comrade Ceremony right outside my front door at work for someone who has been killed in war and whose body is being transported back to the states.
You know what? My life isn't that bad, and neither is yours. Appreciate everything and everyone you have in your life. I appreciate you all and think of you daily. I love you all and miss you so much. Take care, and God bless.
DINA ARCE, Cape Girardeau (currently with the Navy in Afghanistan)