- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
War heightens respect for life
To the editor:I've gained a huge respect for the ground troops fighting the war outside the walls I'm in. I've seen helicopters come in from picking up the wounded, and I turn my head because I'm not sure I'd be ready to see who they're unloading.
Anyone who has strength in prayer, which I hope you all do: Pray for these men and women daily. They're fighting for your freedom. They're giving up their quality time with their families and loved ones and their good stateside living conditions. They're eating meals ready to eat for two weeks straight before coming on the base to get a little rest, sleeping lightly, not showering for weeks at a time while everyone else is thinking how bad their lives are.
Every time I think I can't handle the bad things I've been faced with in life or how bad I think my life is, there is a Fallen Comrade Ceremony right outside my front door at work for someone who has been killed in war and whose body is being transported back to the states.
You know what? My life isn't that bad, and neither is yours. Appreciate everything and everyone you have in your life. I appreciate you all and think of you daily. I love you all and miss you so much. Take care, and God bless.
DINA ARCE, Cape Girardeau (currently with the Navy in Afghanistan)