- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
Animal abusers threaten our safety
To the editor:Kudos to all the authorities who helped secure the arrests of three men allegedly involved with running a dogfighting ring in Dudley, Mo. Let's hope that, if they are convicted, these men are given strict sentences including jail time, counseling and a ban on contact with animals.
As the gruesome details of Michael Vick's dogfighting indictment reveal, dogfighting is heinous cruelty to animals. Dogs are typically kept outdoors on heavy chains 24 hours a day, starved, beaten and taunted into aggression. If they lose a fight, they are often shot, drowned or burned alive.
Anyone capable of such cruelty apparently hasn't grasped the preschool concept of empathy. Animal abusers are cowards who take their issues out on easy victims, and they rarely limit their cruelty to other species. It's no wonder the FBI has found that a history of cruelty to animals regularly appears in its records of serial rapists and murderers.
We must work together to get animal abusers off the streets for everyone's safety. For more information on the animal-human cruelty link, visit www.HelpingAnimals.com.
MARTIN MERSEREAU, Supervisor, Cruelty Casework Division, Domestic Animal and Wildlife Rescue and Information Department,People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Norfolk, Va.