- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Southbound Interstate 55 overpass complete
If the weather cooperates, the southbound overpass bridge of the new East Main Street/LaSalle Avenue interchange on Interstate 55 will open soon.
Dumey Contracting has completed its construction work on that portion of the road. Dry weather will allow for roadway striping as early as today, with traffic being allowed to pass by late afternoon.
If it does rain -- the National Weather Service forecasts a 50 percent chance of precipitation -- the traffic switch could occur early next week.
The change means southbound traffic, which has been limited to one lane and diverted to the interchange ramps, will return to the southbound lanes of I-55. Drivers can expect periodic lane reductions during intermittent median and shoulder work.
Northbound traffic will continue to be reduced to one lane and diverted to the interchange ramps while work gets underway on the northbound I-55 overpass bridge.