- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)6
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)13
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
Central cruises past Sikeston in Class 4 District 1 opener
Wendi Zickfield put down 11 kills to lead Central to a two-game sweep of Sikeston in Class 4 District 1 volleyball action Monday.
Taylor Kirn had eight kills and Katie Scholl added 21 assists to secure the win for the Tigers (20-9-3).
Game scores were 25-11, 25-21.
Central plays Jackson at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
|Class 3, District 1Perryville||25||25Doniphan||13||9|
The third-seeded Pirates advanced to the semifinals with their victory.
Perryville served 18 aces to dominated both games.
"Our ability to hit spots on our serves was great tonight," Pirate coach Tyler Abernathy said.
Liz Martin led the Pirates with eight kills while Kasey Welker and Lindsay Martin added five kills each. Ashley Castleberry had seven digs and nine assists for the Pirates.
Perryville will face Dexter tonight at 7 p.m.
|Class 2, District 2Scott City||25||25Puxico||16||12|
Top-seeded Scott City defeated Puxico in straight games to open district play.
"Our girls all came together and played well," Scott City coach Haley Jennings said. "We're looking forward to our game [today]."
The Rams enjoyed a balanced attack with Brooke Simpson leading the charge with seven kills, seven digs and one block. Jordan McFall added eights digs and 10 assists, while Whitney Tapley chipped in two kills and seven digs.
Amanda Braun had five digs and one block, Katie Diebold added two kills, four digs and one block and Kristin Yetman had eight digs and two assists.
The Rams play Twin Rivers tonight at 7 p.m.
|Class 1, District 2Bell City||25||25Advance||8||10|
Top-seeded Bell City defeated fourth-seeded Advance in straight games to move on to the district championship.
"I thought we didn't let down, we were relaxed and all-around played good," Bell City coach Erin Hoffman said.
Jessica Abner led the Cubs with a team-high 10 kills and eight digs.
Rachel Spears added seven kills, Jenny Lathum chipped in seven digs and Codie Lancaster had seven digs and 23 assists for Bell City.
-- From staff reports