* Free pulmonary function screenings: 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. in the Saint Francis Medical Center cafeteria. The screenings take about 10 minutes and participants may eat a light meal before (no fasting is required). Screenings will continue through Friday at 11 a.m. Appointments are limited. Call 331-5877 to schedule an appointment.
* "The New and Old of Arthritis": 6:30 p.m. in the Harrison Room. Discussion on the common types of arthritis and the treatment options for them. To register, call Southeast Missouri Hospital's Generations Center at 651-5825 or register online at www.southeastmissourihospital.com.
* Flu shots: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Riverside Regional Library in Benton, Mo. The Scott County Health Center will administer shots for $15 unless covered by Medicare or Medicaid.
* Newborn Massage: 10 to 11 a.m. in the Generations Family Resource Center at Southeast Missouri Hospital, parents will learn the techniques and benefits of infant massage from a Generations Center staff member and receive an instructional booklet. For parents or caregivers and their medically-stable newborns up through the first four to six weeks of life. Participants should bring a pillow, receiving blankets and baby. Parents may take this class before their baby's arrival and practice on a doll. To preregister, call the Generations Center at 651-5825 or online at www.southeastmissourihospital.com.
* Medicare Advantage seminar: at 10:30 a.m. at Scott City Senior Center.
* Southeast Showcase: 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. at the Show Me Center. Fundraiser to benefit patient services at Southeast Missouri Hospital. Features food and beverages from more than 40 area restaurants and vendors. This year's event them is "Halloween Southeast Spooktacular." Dress casually or in a Halloween costume. Live music will be provide by Midlife Crisis. For tickets, call the Southeast Missouri Hospital Foundation at 334-9254. Must be 21 or older to attend.
* Flu shots: 8 to 11 a.m. at the Chaffee Nutrition Center in Chaffee, Mo. The Scott County Health Center will administer shots for $15 unless covered by Medicare or Medicaid.
* Community health fair: 8 a.m. to noon, Trinity Lutheran Church. The church, 100 N. Frederick St., welcomes the public to come for health screenings, various presentations and health information. Call Trinity Lutheran Church at 335-8224 for more information.
* Flu shots: 6 to 10 a.m. and 3 to 6 p.m. at HealthPoint Fitness in Cape Girardeau. Shots are $20 for HealthPoint members, $25 for nonmembers. No appointment necessary.
* Stroke and osteoporosis screening: Appointments begin at 9 a.m. at New McKendree United Methodist Church from Life Line Screening. Call 877-237-1287 or go online at www.lifelinescreening.com for registration, cost and more information.
* Medicare Advantage seminar: 10:30 a.m. at Marble Hill Senior Center in Marble Hill, Mo.
* Medicare Advantage seminar: 10:45 a.m. at Perry-ville Senior Center in Perryville, Mo.
* 11 a.m. to noon, Drury Southwest, 101 S. Farrar Drive, Cape Girardeau.
* 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Southeast Missouri Hospital.
* Osage Community Centre, from noon to 6 p.m.
Southeast Hospital receives gold seal
Southeast Missouri Hospital earned the Gold Seal of Approval from the Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Centers. The Joint Commission conducted an unannounced, on-site review in August and gave the hospital the award. Each year about 700,000 people experience a new or recurrent stroke, which is the nation's third leading cause of death. The Joint Commission's Primary Stroke Center certification is based on the recommendations for primary stroke care as outlined by the Brain Attack Coalition and the American Stroke Association.
Halloween blood drive on Broadway
Old Town Cape and the Southeast Missourian are hosting a blood drive on Oct. 31 at the H & H Building. Workers will be in costume to take your blood. Come "Drain Your Vein" and get a free T-shirt. Blood drive will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. To make reservations, call 800-448-3543 or go to www.givelife.org.
-- From staff reports