Out of the past 10/15/07

Monday, October 15, 2007

25 years ago: Oct. 15, 1982

Faced with budget cuts, Southeast Missouri State University Theater has opted for a shorter 1982-1983 season; productions on the main stage in Rose Theater will be "Carnival," "Arms and the Man" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"; lab shows will include "Equus" and an unannounced production.

Wilma Dailey, currently a postal worker in Jackson, has been appointed the new postmaster at Oak Ridge, effective Saturday; she succeeds Don Ikerman.

50 years ago: Oct. 15, 1957

Members approve a $3,000 budget for Christmas decorations throughout the city when the Cape Girardeau Retail Merchants Association convenes in the morning at Colonial Tavern; the decorations committee plans to add larger bulbs to the present street decorations to make them more visible, to investigate the possibility of lowering the decorations to 14 or 15 feet in height, and to purchase additional decorations.

Rain, which comes in a steady downpour part of the morning and totals 0.42 of an inch, is a welcome sight to Girardeans; it is the first of any consequence since Sept. 12, when 1.06 inches fell here.

75 years ago: Oct. 15, 1932

East Prairie appears to be the site of Southeast Missouri's lion-hunting expedition; movie cameramen, newspaper reporters and a son of Denver M. Wright, who is promoting the synthetic safari, are assembled there awaiting the arrival of Wright and the lions.

Scene of frequent liquor raids by prohibition agents in recent years, a roadhouse and service station south of Lutesville, Mo., known as Hahn's place, has been padlocked by order of Federal Judge C.B. Faris.

100 years ago: Oct. 15, 1907

The skating rink in the old armory will open tomorrow night, glad news to an army of young people who enjoyed the sport last season; admission will be 35 cents.

The search goes on for a site upon which to build a new St. Vincent's Young Ladies Academy; one location that had been offered proved too small, while another was too costly; the Sisters of Loretto are now considering offers of 10 acres of land in Monticello Heights, made by M.E. Leming, and on North Sprigg Street, owned by Mercer D. Wilson.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: