International Walk/Bike To School Day is Wednesday
Wednesday has been declared Walk/Bike to School day, according to the Missouri Bicycle Federation. In the United States, International Walk to School Day is expected to include 5,000 schools from all 50 states. Walkers from the U.S. will join children and adults in 40 countries around the world. Communities, districts, individual schools, neighborhoods or individual families can all participate by simply walking or bicycling to school with a child that day.
-- From staff reports
* Our New Baby class: From 6 to 7 p.m. in the Generations Center. Class is for 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds and their parents. Discuss how the family will grow and change with a new baby. Children learn about holding, feeding and diapering the baby using dolls. Preregistration is required. Visit www.southeastmissourihospital.com to register.
* "Chest Pain -- Men vs. Women": from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Southeast Missouri Hospital, meeting room 106. The director of Emergency Services at Southeast will talk about heart attack warning signs and steps to prevent or control heart disease risk factors. To register, call 651-5825 or register online at www.southeastmissourihospital.com.
* "Neck Pain: When is Surgery the Right Choice?" from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Southeast Missouri Hospital in meeting room 106. A neurosurgeon will discuss the common causes of neck pain and the nonsurgical treatment options as well as the latest, minimally-invasive surgical solutions. To register, call the Generations Center at 651-5825 or register online at www.southeastmissourihospital.com.
* Breast-feeding support group: From 10 to 11 a.m. at Saint Francis Family BirthPlace. Provides nursing mothers an opportunity to share experiences and ideas with other women. Get answers to frequently asked questions, share tips on successful breast-feeding techniques and gain confidence in their skills. Breast-feeding mothers (and their nursing infant), mothers of preterm or neonatal intensive care unit infants and pregnant women are all encouraged to attend. No registration required.
* "Step Out to Fight Diabetes" Walk: Starts at 9 a.m. at Cape County Park North. The event includes children's activities, a vendor fair and information on diabetes, a disease that touches the lives of more than 20 million Americans. For more information, contact Southeast Missouri Hospital's Diabetes Center at 339-0121.
* Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacement: From 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the Harrison Room. Dr. Patrick Knight will discuss the metal-on-metal hip replacement and the technology involved when it is used. He will also explain the advantages of this technology such as greater motion, stability and flexibility. Register online at www.southeastmissourihospital.com
* Preparation for Childbirth Class: From 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Saint Francis Medical Center Registration Center. All-day comprehensive guide to expected bodily changes, labor signs and stages, pain control options, labor techniques and basic infant care. Tips on relaxing, positioning and breathing will also be discussed. Lunch provided. Register by calling 877-231-2229.
* Diabetes Self-Management Support Group: Know Your ABCs: From 1 to 2 p.m. in the Generations Center. Learn how better management of your A1C, blood pressure and cholesterol can control risk and slow the progress of heart disease. For more information or to register, call Southeast's Diabetes Center at 339-0121.