- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
Man proposes marriage on side of demolition derby car
BLOOMSBURG, Pa. -- Marriage proposals have been displayed on billboards, announced on scoreboards and even written into newspaper crossword puzzles.
Kevin Weaver's engagement to Karen Slusser got off to a smashing start. He painted his proposal on a car and drove it in a demolition derby.
"Every woman I know says she wants to announce it to the world when she gets engaged. I figured I'd announce it for her and make it well noted," said Weaver, 34, of Danville.
Slusser, 47, of Mifflinville, knew Weaver was entering the derby. She saw him paint the car white and light blue, then top it with a stuffed bunny to advertise her rabbit-breeding business.
But this past week, Weaver moved the car to a friend's garage, saying he needed to keep it out of the rain. While it was hidden inside, he painted "Karen Slusser will u marry me?" from the hood along the driver's side and up the trunk.
He also attached a large stuffed ring -- with fabric diamond -- to the bunny's paws.
When the car appeared in the derby arena Saturday, Slusser read the message and her family cheered.
Weaver finished third in the demolition derby, then met Slusser at the gate to the drivers' pit and asked for her answer.
"Yes!" she said with a laugh.
And with that, Weaver handed her a real diamond ring.