- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)27
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)8
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
Man proposes marriage on side of demolition derby car
BLOOMSBURG, Pa. -- Marriage proposals have been displayed on billboards, announced on scoreboards and even written into newspaper crossword puzzles.
Kevin Weaver's engagement to Karen Slusser got off to a smashing start. He painted his proposal on a car and drove it in a demolition derby.
"Every woman I know says she wants to announce it to the world when she gets engaged. I figured I'd announce it for her and make it well noted," said Weaver, 34, of Danville.
Slusser, 47, of Mifflinville, knew Weaver was entering the derby. She saw him paint the car white and light blue, then top it with a stuffed bunny to advertise her rabbit-breeding business.
But this past week, Weaver moved the car to a friend's garage, saying he needed to keep it out of the rain. While it was hidden inside, he painted "Karen Slusser will u marry me?" from the hood along the driver's side and up the trunk.
He also attached a large stuffed ring -- with fabric diamond -- to the bunny's paws.
When the car appeared in the derby arena Saturday, Slusser read the message and her family cheered.
Weaver finished third in the demolition derby, then met Slusser at the gate to the drivers' pit and asked for her answer.
"Yes!" she said with a laugh.
And with that, Weaver handed her a real diamond ring.