- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Applications taken for war medallions
With the start of the new year, Missouri Korean War veterans may now apply for the Korean War medal, medallion and certificate.
The program, created last fall, was modeled after the World War II Veterans' Award Recognition Program.
Veterans must have served on active duty in a U.S. military force any time from June 27, 1950, to Jan. 31, 1955, and have been honorably discharged from military service, unless they are still in active service in an honorable status, according to the legislation.
Korean War veterans, spouses or the eldest living survivor of deceased Korean War Veterans may apply for the award.
The Missouri National Guard will accept applications for the Korean War Medallion program until Jan. 1, 2005.
The application deadline for the Missouri WWII Veterans' Award Recognition Program is July 1.
Applications and a complete list of requirements for the Korean War and WWII awards are available on the Missouri National Guard Web site at www.moguard.com or by calling toll-free (866) 834-3431 or by mail at Office of the Adjutant General, Attn: Korean War or WWII Awards, P.O. Box 1808, Jefferson City, Mo. 65102.
Veterans may also contact their local Missouri Veterans Commission office for information.