- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Out of the past 9/28/07
25 years ago: Sept. 28, 1982
A Sunday operating schedule for West Park Mall, contingent upon voter repeal of the state Blue Law in Cape Girardeau, has been announced by the management of West Park Mall; mall hours will be from 1 to 5 p.m., to enable those employees and customers who so desire to attend the church of their choice.
The St. Louis Cardinals clinched the National League Eastern Division title by trimming the Expos in Montreal last night, 4-2; the Cards hadn't won a title since winning the pennant in 1968.
50 years ago: Sept. 28, 1957
Workers have started excavation for a pumping station at the foot of Merriwether Street, a part of the flood-control project for the Water Street area, which also includes the high floodwall; a brick building, 40 by 42 feet, will house the pumps which, during flood periods, will operate to remove surface water and sewage.
Law enforcement in the Cape Girardeau area is substantially strengthened at noon, when Cape Girardeau County officially goes on the air with its new sheriff's short-wave radio equipment.
75 years ago: Sept. 28, 1932
"He has finished his work," says St. Louis Archbishop John J. Glennon, as he presides over the funeral Mass of the Very Rev. Eberhardt B. Pruente, who is laid to rest in St. Mary's Cemetery; Pruente, a native of Westphalia in the former kingdom of Prussia, served St. Mary's Catholic Church as pastor for 51 years; he is survived by his sister and housekeeper, Mary Pruente, and a brother, Henry Pruente of St. Louis.
A rabid dog is slain by Cape Girardeau police in the vicinity of the West End Fuel Co.; police chief Jesse Crafton warns dog owners in that part of town to keep their pets under close surveillance.
100 years ago: Sept. 28, 1907
The name for the new theater on Main Street has been chosen; it will be called the Lyric; three people suggested the name in a contest and will receive free tickets to performances during the first month of operation; winners are Ona Hall, Hazel Hall and Dr. Adolph List.
Frank Schnonhoff has associated himself with Charles Schrock in the blacksmith business on South Sprigg Street in Cape Girardeau.
-- Sharon K. Sanders