- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Nine-time UFC champion on card for Saturday event
Matt Hughes, the nine-time UFC welterweight champion, will make his way to Cape Girardeau this weekend.
Hughes will sign autographs before the mixed martial arts fights at the A.G. Brase Arena Building on Saturday.
"He's the biggest name in the UFC," fight promoter Paul Farwig said.
Farwig said Hughes plans to stick around for most of the night's matches. There are 17 scheduled, including four for championship belts.
Andrew Vanek and Haley Wyavuz, both of Cape, are scheduled to compete.
The doors open at 6:30 p.m., when Hughes will arrive, with the matches scheduled to start at 8 p.m.
This the third fight card Farwig has put on in Cape Girardeau, and he said he plans to continue hosting events in the area.
"It's a good market," he said. "Everybody is very receptive to it. It's the fastest growing sport in the world and it's just taken off. That market, I get a really good response from it -- from the businesses to all the people."
Tickets range in price from $25 to $70, for the VIP treatment.
"The seating in that room is fantastic," Farwig said. "There really isn't a bad seat in the house."