- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Community digest 9/20/07
Memorial fund-raiser being held Saturday
A fund-raiser in memory of Susie Thompson will be held Saturday. The event includes a poker run that begins at 9 a.m. at Brother's Lounge in Cape Girardeau, ending at Decoy's Bar in Olive Branch, Ill. A benefit party will be held from 1 p.m. to midnight at Decoy's Bar. Washer tournament registration will be at 1 p.m.; live music will be at 8 p.m. by the Bottom Line. Those planning to attend should bring lawn chairs. Proceeds will be split between the American Cancer Society in memory of Thompson and a volleyball scholarship in her honor at Southeast Missouri State University. There will be food, drink specials, 50/50 raffle, door prizes and cash prizes for the best and worst poker hands. For more information, call Brian at 576-0918 or Rick or Micki Brown at 335-8779.
Cape Civil War Roundtable meets
The Civil War Roundtable will meet at 8 a.m. Saturday in the parking lot of Hanover Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau for a trip to Pilot Knob, Mo., for a re-enactment of the battle at Fort Davidson. Volunteer drivers will transport everyone to Pilot Knob.
Fruitland school reunion will be at Delmonico's
A luncheon reunion for those who attended Fruitland grade school or high school will begin at 10:30 a.m. Sept. 29 at Delmonico's restaurant in Jackson. This will be the 75th anniversary of the winning of the Missouri state basketball championship by the Fruitland High School team. All Fruitland school attendees, families and friends are invited.
Peace rally to be held at Freedom Corner
The SEMO Coalition for Peace and Justice will hold a peace rally in conjunction with the United Nations International Day of Peace at 5:30 p.m. Friday. All those committed to nonviolent action are welcome to participate at Freedom Corner in Capaha Park. Those who cannot follow the nonviolence policy are asked not to participate.
Sewing reunion will be at Trinity Lutheran hall
The 36th annual sewing reunion will begin with a covered meal at 12:30 p.m. Sept. 30 at the parish hall of Trinity Lutheran Church in Friedheim. Each family should bring a dessert to share and table service. A business meeting will follow lunch. For more information, call 243-5522.
Qulin homecoming pageants set for Oct. 5
Community Caring Council meets
The Community Caring Council will meet at 7:30 a.m. Friday at the Kasten Community Development Center, 937 Broadway, Suite 102, Cape Girardeau. Charles DiStefano with the Missouri Mentoring Partnership will be the guest speaker.
-- From staff reports