- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Seeking new history: Centurion Development buys former Woolworth building at 1 N. Main St. (7/28/16)5
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Police: Child's video revealed stepfather's abuse of sibling (7/28/16)3
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Speak Out 9/19/07
Great car show
CONGRATULATIONS TO the River City Rodders and to Old Town Cape for a successful car show. The number, variety and quality of the vehicles at the show reminded me of national shows I've attended where more than 12,000 cars were registered. The event was well-organized and family friendly, and the downtown shops and dining assured something for everyone. The cloud cover was a real bonus too but not to be attributed to the organizers.
CENTRAL HIGH School Tiger Marching Band: You were outstanding taking first place, outstanding percussion, musical performance and visual performance at the Murphysboro contest. All the sweat and hard work paid off. Keep it up. It looks to be a great season.
No dogs at fair
IT'S COMMON sense to not take your dog to the fair. There are many small children scared of dogs and dogs that attack and bite with no warning, not to mention animals using the fairgrounds as a bathroom. There is no reason for a pet to be at the fair.
TIME AND again over recent weeks the Southeast Missourian has reported on the regional drought, a disaster for farmers. But not one word is mentioned about the probable cause. This drought is exactly what climate theory predicts. So much valuable education could be undertaken with this story, but it doesn't happen. When U.S. Sen. Kit Bond claims it is too economically expensive to address climate change, he is saying the farmers of Southeast Missouri are economically unimportant. We need to work together on this nonpartisan issue. Neither denial and ignoring it nor evasion of responsibility help us solve the problem.
SMOKERS ARE a trashy group. They throw cigarette butts and empty packs in my yard every day. I would like to see cigarettes banned. Smokers are so irresponsible.
I AM ashamed of Jackson and its utility system. I had to pay $30 above the amount of my utility bill because I could not pay it by the 10th of the month. I got paid on the 11th. What kind of scam is the city running?