Church Women United hold luncheon
The annual awareness luncheon of Church Women United will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 21 at Zion United Methodist Church in Gordonville. The agenda includes presentations by NaTika Rowles of the Boys and Girls Club; Denise Lincoln and Pat King of the Family Resource Center; Jim Ray of the Family Counseling Center; Jackson police Capt. Bob Boney of Christ's Servants Inc.; Rick Rivera and Chelsea Young of Young Life; Bill Barkley of River Corridor Task Force; and Wally Austin of Al-Anon. Participants are asked to bring a salad to share and a friend. Church Word Service 2007 school kits and supplies will be collected for distribution. The luncheon is open to men and women regardless of church affiliation.
Apple Creek Association to hold service
The Apple Creek Presbyterian Memorial Association will have its annual vesper service at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Apple Creek church. A basket dinner will follow the service on the old church grounds. The Rev. Grant Gillard of the First Presbyterian Church of Jackson will be the speaker. Special music will be offered by the Gaslight Singers of the First Presbyterian Church in Jackson; congregational singing will be accompanied by Carolyn Thompson on the old pump organ.
Sports Crusader to speak at Illmo Baptist
Chris Sisk, a former college basketball player from Scott City, will be the guest speaker at 10:55 a.m. Sunday at Illmo Baptist Church. He is with the Sports Crusaders, an evangelistic group which works with youth to emphasize moral and spiritual values. He will also speak at the 4 p.m. church picnic at the Scott City park.
Churches in revival around the area
* Moores Chapel Baptist church, Route DD County Road 320 in Marquand, Mo., will host a revival beginning Sunday and continuing through Friday. The Sunday service begins a 6 p.m. Services Monday through Friday will begin at 7 p.m. Bill Jetton will be the guest speaker. Special music will be performed each night, ending with New Creations, the Teen Challenge Choir. A fellowship dinner will follow the Friday service.
* Sedgewickville Baptist church, Route K in Sedgewickville, Mo., will be in revival Sept. 21 to 23. Services start at 7 p.m. Sept. 21 and 22 and at 10 a.m. on Sept. 23, with a potluck meal following at 11:30 a.m. There will be special singing with "New Beginning" at 1 p.m.
Children welcome at Awana Clubs
Awana Clubs begin at 4 p.m. Sunday at Cape Bible Chapel, 2911 Kage Road in Cape Girardeau, for children preschool through sixth grade. Children will participate in memorization of Scripture, team game competitions, worship, Bible study and regular wacky themes nights. Call Jeremy at 334-5948 with any questions, or simply show up.
Singer/songwriter David Patillo in concert
Singer/songwriter David Patillo will be in concert at 7 p.m. today at the First Assembly of God, 312 Dearborn St. in Scott City. Patillo has written more than 400 songs. One of his songs, "Ten Thousand Angels Cried," was performed at the memorial for the Sept. 11, 2001, firefighters and recorded by LeAnn Rimes on her "Inspirational Songs" album.
Hobbs Chapel UMW fall bazaar next week
The Hobbs Chapel United Methodist Women will hold its annual fall bazaar from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 22. Booths in the activity building will be available offering arts and crafts, collectibles, baked goods, books, straw games and lunch. There will be tailgate sales held outside on the lawn. The Hobbs Chapel Youth will sponsor a "trash to treasures" booth under the pavilion at the back of the church property. Hobbs Chapel is just north of the Cape Girardeau city limits. For information, call 335-9308.
Activities planned at First Baptist Church
* This Sunday's sermon is titled "Re-center (the church)" with the key scripture being Matthew 16:18. This is third in the "RE" series with the Rev. Mike Shupert.
* Wednesday Adult Bible Study at 6:15 p.m. with Dr. Ron Winstead, on the book of Luke.
* Youth Bible Study with Tyler Tankersley at 6:15 p.m. Wednesday.
* New on Wednesdays at 6:15 p.m., video study: "Parenting: The Early Years."
* For children grades K-6, "Kids Club" with Whitney Thomason at 6:15 p.m. Wednesdays.
* College Bible Study with Tyler Tankersley at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.
* Join Tankersley at the Baptist Student Center on the Southeast Missouri State University campus at 7 p.m. Sundays for "The Fellowship."
* Garage sale in the FBC Activities Center from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Proceeds go toward Baptist Student Center projects.
* Annual youth garage sale, 7 a.m. to noon, Abbey Road Christian Church. Proceeds will help fund the youth mission trip next summer.
* Revival begins at Little White Water Baptist Church in Patton, and continues through Wednesday, 7 p.m. each night.
* Annual Agape Sunday worship service followed by a picnic at the courthouse lawn, First Presbyterian Church in Cape Girardeau. Guests are welcome to worship and join the picnic.
* Blessing of the animals service, 2 p.m., Abbey Road Christian Church.
* Revival begins at Randles General Baptist Church, 7 p.m. nightly through Friday.
Please submit items for church briefs and calendar by noon Thursday preceding Saturday publication.
-- From staff reports