- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
SEMO Swampers has nice ring, and it's unique
To the editor:
I sent a letter to Southeast Missouri State University about a month ago suggesting that the name of the teams be changed to the Southeast Missouri State Swampers.
I think that is a name that characterizes this area.
As most of you many know, before Southeast Missouri was drained most of it was swampland.
I think this idea doesn't offend anyone, and I am certain students can dream up all sorts of wonderful costumes around a swamp monster.
Besides, I think the name SEMO Swampers sounds good. I am also quite sure no other university uses that name.
DR. TRYGVE O. HONAAS