- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
SEMO Swampers has nice ring, and it's unique
To the editor:
I sent a letter to Southeast Missouri State University about a month ago suggesting that the name of the teams be changed to the Southeast Missouri State Swampers.
I think that is a name that characterizes this area.
As most of you many know, before Southeast Missouri was drained most of it was swampland.
I think this idea doesn't offend anyone, and I am certain students can dream up all sorts of wonderful costumes around a swamp monster.
Besides, I think the name SEMO Swampers sounds good. I am also quite sure no other university uses that name.
DR. TRYGVE O. HONAAS