- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)8
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)4
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson roundabout on schedule, on budget (7/19/16)7
SEMO Swampers has nice ring, and it's unique
To the editor:
I sent a letter to Southeast Missouri State University about a month ago suggesting that the name of the teams be changed to the Southeast Missouri State Swampers.
I think that is a name that characterizes this area.
As most of you many know, before Southeast Missouri was drained most of it was swampland.
I think this idea doesn't offend anyone, and I am certain students can dream up all sorts of wonderful costumes around a swamp monster.
Besides, I think the name SEMO Swampers sounds good. I am also quite sure no other university uses that name.
DR. TRYGVE O. HONAAS