- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- Cape man wins Scratchers lottery top prize (1/12/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
SEMO Swampers has nice ring, and it's unique
To the editor:
I sent a letter to Southeast Missouri State University about a month ago suggesting that the name of the teams be changed to the Southeast Missouri State Swampers.
I think that is a name that characterizes this area.
As most of you many know, before Southeast Missouri was drained most of it was swampland.
I think this idea doesn't offend anyone, and I am certain students can dream up all sorts of wonderful costumes around a swamp monster.
Besides, I think the name SEMO Swampers sounds good. I am also quite sure no other university uses that name.
DR. TRYGVE O. HONAAS