- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
SEMO Swampers has nice ring, and it's unique
To the editor:
I sent a letter to Southeast Missouri State University about a month ago suggesting that the name of the teams be changed to the Southeast Missouri State Swampers.
I think that is a name that characterizes this area.
As most of you many know, before Southeast Missouri was drained most of it was swampland.
I think this idea doesn't offend anyone, and I am certain students can dream up all sorts of wonderful costumes around a swamp monster.
Besides, I think the name SEMO Swampers sounds good. I am also quite sure no other university uses that name.
DR. TRYGVE O. HONAAS