- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Politics to profits: Brothers launch new investing concept on Wall Street (10/19/17)1
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)1
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- Food Giant in Chaffee is robbed (10/17/17)
- Owner of dinosaur relics demands new board of directors, business plan at Bollinger County Museum (10/17/17)
Everyone made bridge dedication day to remember
To the editor:
Last Saturday's dedication of the Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge was a great day for Cape Girardeau, for Missouri and Illinois and especially for the entire Emerson family. I would like to thank everyone who worked tirelessly to make the ceremony a proud day.
I would especially like to thank the Cape Girardeau Police Department, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce and the Illinois Department of Transportation. Thank you to the officers who directed traffic and handled security, all the men and women who set up the chairs and stage and then cleaned up afterward, the drivers who assisted in the parade or brought antique autos, the reporters and photographers who enabled those who couldn't attend to be part of the experience and everyone who braved the cold to volunteer. Your donations of time and talent will be remembered with this historic event.
To those who shared their remarks or provided inspiring music: Thank you for warming our hearts on a very cold morning. You all made an impressive contribution to honoring our country and to remembering Bill.
And to the Missouri Department of Transportation, the biggest thank you of all. Every employee and volunteer who worked behind the scenes really went the distance to ensure we had a successful dedication.
Maire, Liz, Abby, Tori, Katherine and I extend our heartfelt thanks for such a blessed day. We were honored by the efforts of each and every one of you to make the dedication so memorable.
JO ANN EMERSON