- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)9
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Young author gave up TV at age 7 to pursue writing, and has recently finished his third novel (1/20/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Cinderella shines in debut at Bedell (1/20/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
Everyone made bridge dedication day to remember
To the editor:
Last Saturday's dedication of the Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge was a great day for Cape Girardeau, for Missouri and Illinois and especially for the entire Emerson family. I would like to thank everyone who worked tirelessly to make the ceremony a proud day.
I would especially like to thank the Cape Girardeau Police Department, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce and the Illinois Department of Transportation. Thank you to the officers who directed traffic and handled security, all the men and women who set up the chairs and stage and then cleaned up afterward, the drivers who assisted in the parade or brought antique autos, the reporters and photographers who enabled those who couldn't attend to be part of the experience and everyone who braved the cold to volunteer. Your donations of time and talent will be remembered with this historic event.
To those who shared their remarks or provided inspiring music: Thank you for warming our hearts on a very cold morning. You all made an impressive contribution to honoring our country and to remembering Bill.
And to the Missouri Department of Transportation, the biggest thank you of all. Every employee and volunteer who worked behind the scenes really went the distance to ensure we had a successful dedication.
Maire, Liz, Abby, Tori, Katherine and I extend our heartfelt thanks for such a blessed day. We were honored by the efforts of each and every one of you to make the dedication so memorable.
JO ANN EMERSON