- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Everyone made bridge dedication day to remember
To the editor:
Last Saturday's dedication of the Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge was a great day for Cape Girardeau, for Missouri and Illinois and especially for the entire Emerson family. I would like to thank everyone who worked tirelessly to make the ceremony a proud day.
I would especially like to thank the Cape Girardeau Police Department, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce and the Illinois Department of Transportation. Thank you to the officers who directed traffic and handled security, all the men and women who set up the chairs and stage and then cleaned up afterward, the drivers who assisted in the parade or brought antique autos, the reporters and photographers who enabled those who couldn't attend to be part of the experience and everyone who braved the cold to volunteer. Your donations of time and talent will be remembered with this historic event.
To those who shared their remarks or provided inspiring music: Thank you for warming our hearts on a very cold morning. You all made an impressive contribution to honoring our country and to remembering Bill.
And to the Missouri Department of Transportation, the biggest thank you of all. Every employee and volunteer who worked behind the scenes really went the distance to ensure we had a successful dedication.
Maire, Liz, Abby, Tori, Katherine and I extend our heartfelt thanks for such a blessed day. We were honored by the efforts of each and every one of you to make the dedication so memorable.
JO ANN EMERSON