- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Out of the past 12/8/03
10 years ago: Dec. 8, 1993
Group of Cape Girardeau auto dealers lost its legal challenge over city's gross sales license tax; Missouri Eastern District Court of Appeals affirmed Circuit Judge A.J. Seier's ruling in favor of city's contention that tax is constitutional.
Cape Girardeau's Ward 6 is first of four municipal races that will require February primary; Richard L. "Butch" Eggimann filed election petition Tuesday, fourth candidate to file in Ward 6.
25 years ago: Dec. 8, 1978
Winter comes to Cape Girardeau area in form of freezing rain, sleet and snow; Cape Girardeau public schools and many surrounding schools, public and parochial, close as result of hazardous road conditions.
Sixth candidate has filed his candidacy for one of two available seats in city council election in April.
50 years ago: Dec. 8, 1953
Twenty-one people, all owners or possible heirs of portion of Houck family holdings, are defendants in suit filed in Common Pleas Court; suit concerns proposed construction in South Cape of Socony-Vacuum Oil Corp. (Mobilgas) bulk station.
At close of Girl Scouts' calendar sale, it was reported that Troop 28, led by Mrs. Lehman Finch, sold 285 calendars, highest number sold by any troop.
75 years ago: Dec. 8, 1928
Mercury skids to new low mark for season at Cape Girardeau; temperature of 14 degrees is recorded in morning, which is two degrees lower than previous low mark for season, established last week.
Expenditures by candidates for office in Cape Girardeau County and by Republican county committee during last campaign totaled $5,434.18, according to statements filed with county recorder; statement of Democratic party hasn't been filed yet.
-- Sharon K. Sanders